Having to travel into hospital for an appointment or to stay overnight for a procedure can be a daunting prospect and we want to make your journey as easy as possible.
The public transport available and routes will vary depending upon which hospital or community location you are attending:
How we can help you get to hospital
If you do not have your own transport and are struggling to get to hospital by taxi, bus or train, there is help available.
Our Trust can offer:
- A shuttle bus service between hospital sites – this is a free service that runs between the University Hospital of North Tees and the University Hospital of Hartlepool. For more information, call 01429 522550
- Volunteer driver scheme – call 01429 522550 for more information or to arrange for a Trust volunteer to help you get to your appointment
If you’re on certain welfare benefits, you might eligible for financial support to help with travel costs. More information is available online and from the Trust’s cashier offices – just ask at reception.
We have plenty of car parking spaces for you in our visitor car parks at the University Hospital of North Tees and the University Hospital of Hartlepool.
We charge for parking and use the money raised to maintain car parks and improve security. You can be assured that we are doing everything we can to keep your car safe while you’re in hospital.
If you are a blue badge holder, regular outpatient or the parent of an ill child staying overnight, you may be eligible for free parking.
Alternative car parks not owned by the Trust may also be available. If you choose to use an alternative car park, please make sure to check all signage and follow the rules.
Parking charge notices
You will only receive a parking charge notice if you are parked inappropriately or if you are in breach of the terms and conditions of the car park such as non-payments.
Parking charge exemptions for Blue Badge holders, regular outpatients and parents of children in hospital over night
In line with new government regulations, the Trust has implemented the following parking policies at the University Hospital of Hartlepool, University Hospital of North Tees and Peterlee Community Hospital:
- Blue badge holders, attending hospital as a patient or visitor, simply should present their blue badge and registration details to the security teams who will register their vehicle as being able to park for free. This registration will remain in place for the duration of the badge’s licencing period. However, Blue Badges belong to the person not registered to a vehicle so if a Blue Badge holder attends hospital in a different vehicle, they would need to register that vehicle with the Trust’s security team.
- Frequent outpatient attenders (those who attend hospital for an appointment at least three times within a month and for an overall period of at least three months) will also be provided with free parking. Patients should ask for a form from the outpatients’ reception.
- Parents of sick children staying overnight can park for free between the hours of 7.30pm and 8am while visiting the child. Children’s ward staff will be happy to provide parents with the forms.
If you need to contact us about any parking enquiries, please email: