Safeguarding adults

The Care Act came into force in April 2015 and sets out a clear legal framework for how local authorities and other parts of the health and care system should protect adults at risk of abuse or neglect.

North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust are a partner of the Teeswide Safeguarding Adults Board (TSAB).

TSAB is the statutory body that sets the strategic direction for safeguarding. As a trust, NTH signs up to all of the policies and procedures put in place by TSAB.

The board is responsible for protecting and promoting an adult’s right to live an independent life in safety, free from abuse and neglect in the Boroughs of Hartlepool, Middlesborough, Redcar & Cleveland and Stockton-on-Tees.

Forms of abuse:

  • Physical Abuse, for example, being hit, slapped or punched.
  • Psychological or Emotional Abuse, for example, intimidation, threats of harm or controlling behaviour.
  • Sexual Abuse for example indecent exposure, rape, sexual harassment or sexual acts where an adult has not consented or was pressured into consenting.
  • Financial or Material Abuse, for example, misuse of someone’s money, possessions or property.
  • Domestic Abuse can include some or all of the above and also includes so-called honour-based violence.
  • Neglect, for example, not providing necessary food, clothing, shelter or medical care.
  • Self-Neglect for example, someone neglecting their own personal hygiene, health and surroundings. Discriminatory Abuse, for example, harassment because of race, gender, age, disability, sexuality or religion.
  • Modern Slavery, for example, human trafficking, forced labour and domestic servitude.
  • Organisational Abuse, for example, neglect and poor practice within a setting such as a care home or hospital, or in relation to care provided at home.

How can you report suspect abuse?

You can report very serious abuse and neglect to the Police by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency.

If you are worried or want to talk to someone, contact your local Social Care Services contacts of which can be found within the Safeguarding Adults Boards websites or see our list of contacts.