Information for patients
This leaflet can be made available in other formats including large print, CD and Braille and in languages other than English, upon request.
North Tees and Hartlepool Wheelchair Services work with adults and children with limited mobility due to disability or issues with long-term ill health.
Specialist Therapists will assess for and supply standard and bespoke wheelchairs and consider posture and pressure needs. We provide ongoing review of your mobility needs and refer to other services, as required.
What are the basic guidelines for my wheelchair?
- Always apply the brakes when getting in/out of the wheelchair.
- Fold the backrest when applicable to make it smaller for storage.
- Remove the footrests in order to make the wheelchair lighter to lift.
- Take the wheelchair backwards down a kerb/slope.
- Tip the wheelchair onto the rear wheels to take forwards down a kerb.
- The footrests and lap belt should be used at all times.
- The equipment has been supplied for your own personal use only. Do not allow anyone else to use it.
What if I need to be reassessed?
- Now that you are registered with the wheelchair service, you can contact us at any time to request a review or reassessment if your needs change.
- Please telephone your wheelchair service to arrange your appointment.
What are the Conditions of Loan?
The equipment belongs to North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust and is loaned to you on the following conditions:
- The wheelchair is kept clean and is in good working order.
- You must not alter the wheelchair or have any attachments fitted without our agreement first.
- The wheelchair must be used appropriately. You must not carry any passengers or use the wheelchair for any other purpose than to carry you.
- You must not sell or dispose of the wheelchair to any agency/person.
- The wheelchair must be returned to the Wheelchair Service as soon as it is no longer required. The wheelchair remains NHS property.
You must let Wheelchair Services know immediately if:
- You change address.
- The wheelchair is involved in an accident.
- The wheelchair is lost, damaged or stolen (with crime reference number).
The Wheelchair Service cannot take any responsibility for any issues from improper or incorrect use of the wheelchair and/or accessories. Failure to comply with the conditions of loan could result in the wheelchair being removed.
01429 522 471
Repair Service – ROSSCARE
0191 4155 151
If your wheelchair needs repairing, please contact Rosscare Ltd.
There are no charges for repairs or services to your wheelchair (except cases of misuse or negligence).
Your wheelchair MUST have an annual service check. Please contact Rosscare Ltd to arrange this on the number above.
Comments, concerns, compliments or complaints
Patient Experience Team (PET)
We are continually trying to improve the services we provide. We want to know what we’re doing well or if there’s anything which we can improve, that’s why the Patient Experience Team (PET) is here to help. Our Patient Experience Team is here to try to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. The office is based on the ground floor at the University Hospital of North Tees if you wish to discuss concerns in person. If you would like to contact or request a copy of our PET leaflet, please contact:
Telephone: 01642 624719
Freephone: 0800 092 0084
Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9:30am to 4:00pm
Email: [email protected]
Out of hours
Out of hours if you wish to speak to a senior member of Trust staff, please contact the hospital switchboard who will bleep the appropriate person.
Telephone: 01642 617617
Data protection and use of patient information
The Trust has developed Data Protection policies in accordance with Data Protection Legislation (UK General Data Protection Regulations and Data Protection Act 2018) and the Freedom of Information Act 2000. All of our staff respect these policies and confidentiality is adhered to at all times. If you require further information on how we process your information please see our Privacy Notices.
Telephone: 01642 383551
Email: [email protected]Privacy Notices
This leaflet has been produced in partnership with patients and carers. All patient leaflets are regularly reviewed, and any suggestions you have as to how it may be improved are extremely valuable. Please write to the Clinical Governance team, North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust, University Hospital of North Tees, TS19 8PE or:
Email: [email protected]
Leaflet reference: PIL1447
Date for Review: August 2026