We offer HypnoBirthing classes for expectant mothers and their partners from 25 weeks of pregnancy onwards.
HypnoBirthing UK Classes are taught in a format of five, two-and-a-half hour classes. This allows couples to practice the techniques thoroughly. Classes are generally taught during the day, on weekends, in order that all birth companions are able to attend and fully immerse themselves in the techniques we learn.
What is HypnoBirthing™?
HypnoBirthing™ is an education programme which teaches simple but specific relaxation, breathing and self hypnosis techniques with the aim to achieve a better birthing experience.
With HypnoBirthing you’ll discover that you do not have to associate pain does with your labour, you will learn techniques to release any fear or anxiety that you may currently have with the overall aim to birth with joy and experience the magic of birth.
The most important aim of HypnoBirthing is to allow you to feel in control of your birth regardless of the outcome, and secure with the decisions you and your birthing team have made in partnership.
Using HypnoBirthing does not require any pre-existing religious beliefs or even prior experience; many of our families initially are sceptical until they experience it for themselves. The more sceptical an individual is, the more amazed they are when they discover the true power of HypnoBirthing.
In short, HypnoBirthing will allow you to experience the birth you desire in an calm, relaxing atmosphere, free from the fear and tension that can impact upon your uterine muscles and prevent your body from functioning as nature intends.
Just imagine welcoming your baby while feeling peaceful, relaxed and powerful! Smiling as your body urges your baby closer to meeting you and your family.
Things you will learn with HypnoBirthing™
There are many things we will learn in HypnoBirthing classes that may differ from ‘regular’ antenatal classes:
- Breathing techniques that will actually help and assist during birth, this is not the panting that TV and films portray (who really wants to hyperventilate during labour!).
- How to reduce your need for medication.
- How to reduce the chances of needing an episiotomy during birth with a simple massage technique.
- How to release any fears you may have about childbirth, which can stem from a range of places including TV or films or family “horror” stories.
- How to bring about your own labour with simple, natural techniques if your pregnancy goes beyond your estimated due date.
- Confidence when approaching medical staff with well informed questions and requests – when you question, what to ask and when to take charge.
- Most importantly you’ll know exactly what to do to help you to relax, stay calm and remain in control regardless of what is happening around you.
Additional benefits HypnoBirthing families have reported include:
- Shorter labour and births.
- Significantly fewer surgical births.
- More comfortable, natural births with lower assistance rates.
- Mothers who feel energised and full of energy following relaxed births.
- HypnoBirthing techniques can be adapted to work for hospital births, home births, water births… any birth you desire. It is completely your choice of what kind of birth you desire and HypnoBirthing can help you to achieve it.
- Once the techniques have been mastered then you can use them time and time again throughout your life in any time of stress or tension (we have had many families tell us that this, out of everything, has been invaluable).
Frequently asked questions
Who is HypnoBirthing suitable for?
HypnoBirthing is suitable for first time mums and mums who’ve had babies before.
HypnoBirthing helps women who are worried about birth because they’ve never done it before, who are anxious because of a bad experience last time, or who just want a calmer, easier, more natural birth experience.
If you’re pregnant, and looking for an alternative to the over-medicalised, pain-is-inevitable, “give me an epidural straight away” mindset, then HypnoBirthing is for you.
Is HypnoBirthing safe?
HypnoBirthing is completely safe.
Unfortunately stage hypnosis, TV and film have created a mistaken view of what true hypnosis is, the impression people have is that hypnosis is something magical or even dangerous. Hypnotherapists have been portrayed as having full control of the mind and are capable of making people do things they don’t want to do.
This is, however, the complete opposite of true hypnosis. Hypnosis is a natural state of mind that is achievable by virtually everybody, it is not unnatural or supernatural, and it is in fact the state of mind we achieve as we are falling asleep, just waking up or even during a daydream.
The level of consciousness achieved is comfortable and calming, you will feel relaxed and yet your mind will be highly focused and aware. This is beneficial for dealing with stress and anxiety issues while energising the pregnant body and providing benefits for the baby.
Will I have a pain free birth?
There are no guarantees, as there are many factors which can impact upon a birth some of which are outside of our control. As a guide we have found that 65-70% of HypnoBirthing mums do not require any pain relief as they are not experiencing pain merely pressure during the birthing process, a further 20-25% may require a ‘mild’ pain relief such as gas and air.
The remaining 5-10% may find they have ‘special circumstances’ when medical intervention is required however HypnoBirthing families still reported that the techniques were beneficial, regardless of the outcome.
Remember that the aim of HypnoBirthing is not to achieve completely pain free “perfect” birth (although that is possible) it is to have a birth where you are in control, calm and comfortable.
And as with any technique the key to success is practice, practice, practice.
Recommendations and reviews
I felt so empowered! I could feel how every surge was helping my body to open and birth our beautiful baby. As my body was so relaxed. I was so in tune with my body, I felt exactly when Georgina was about to be born. The midwife didn’t believe me and then was quite shocked when she saw the baby’s head. An 11lb Georgina slid out into the world with such calm and ease… I wanted to shout with joy!
– A mum’s experience
Our beautiful daughter was eventually born with the aid of a birthing stool at 12.38pm. My wife did an amazing job and gave birth without pain-killers of drugs. That meant that when our baby was born, she was alert, calm and fed pretty much straight away. I instantly saw beyond the blood, vernix and the other stuff and I cut the cord without fear and with a sense of pride and calm that still makes me smile today. My daughter and I had skin to skin contact within five to ten minutes f the birth…it was amazing!!
– A dad’s experience
I have made the transition to HypnoBirthing®-The Mongan Method. I now believe that birthing involves no pain. I have attended over 250 births that have used the techniques and philosophy. I realise that I no longer perform deliveries; I attend births and observe the miracle of HypnoBirthing.
I felt privileged to be part of this birth! I have never seen such a calm, gentle birth. This is the way all babies should come into the world!
For information on Hypnobirthing, or to query class availability contact us by email at: