Guidance for babies admitted to neonatal unit
Every month a few healthy babies are admitted to our neonatal unit due to low blood sugar levels and/or a low temperature (Cold).
Follow these simple steps whilst you are in hospital to help avoid separation of you and your baby:
- Always keep your baby warm – skin to skin contact after birth with a hat and blanket to cover your baby will help.
- Dress your baby with appropriate clothing.
- Please help to keep the room warm and draught free by closing windows and doors.
- Feed your baby early, if possible within one hour of birth.
- Responsive feeding (ask your midwife for further information).
If you have any concerns about the temperature of your baby, the room or are experiencing feeding difficulties please ask your midwife for advice.