Chris provides independent judgement and advice on issues of strategy, vision, performance, resources and standards of conduct and constructively challenge, influence and help the executive develop proposals on such strategies to enable the organisation to fulfil its leadership responsibilities for developing and enhancing the health of the population it serves.
In particular he ensures the financial information prepared is accurate, and that financial controls and risk management systems are robust and defensible and ensuring the Trust’s internal governance arrangements conform with best practice and statutory requirements.
- Chair of Audit Committee
- Chair of Finance Committee
- Chair of Charitable Funds Committee
- Senior Independent Director (S.I.D.)
Chris has worked within finance in the NHS since 1975. He commenced his first director of finance role at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead in 1997. Chris has a wealth of experience working within a provider setting, and within the commissioning side of the NHS.
Chris has held the role of Director of Finance within commissioning for Sunderland, Gateshead and South Tyneside. After retiring as a DOF in 2015, he was encouraged to remain in the NHS, taking up his frrst non-executive director post in 2015.
Throughout his career as a DOF and a non-executive Director, Chris has sat on and chaired a number of national committees relating to NHS Accounting Standards and Governance / Audit.
Professional Body memberships
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (C.P.F.A.)
- Qualified Accountant Member
- Honorary Fellow of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (H.F.M.A.)
Ambitions for the Trust
- To be the provider of first choice for the local population delivering standards/quality of healthcare second to none.
- To be a compassionate and listening organisation which values its staff and encourages everyone to maximize there potential.
Ambitions for the Tees Valley health and care landscape
To have a coordinated and collaborative health and social care system dedicated to improving and enhancing the health of the population thus reducing the significant health inequalities that currently exist.