We have plenty of car parking spaces for you in our visitor car parks at the University Hospital of North Tees.
We have added an additional visitor car park opposite the hospital site on Hardwick Road which uses a different pay system to the other visitor car parks, see below for full information.
We charge for parking and use the money raised to constantly improve lighting and security so you can be assured we are doing everything we can to keep your car safe while you’re in our hospitals. Any additional money raised goes back into frontline services across both of our hospitals.
We are delighted to continuously achieve the Park Mark award for the quality of our car parks. We are determined to ensure people who need to park in a disabled space can always do so and emergency vehicles carrying very sick patients can always get to where they need to be on site.
We use the ParkingEye system at the University Hospital of Hartlepool and the University Hospital of North Tees. This system means we don’t have car parking barriers.
It uses automatic number plate recognition to capture vehicle registrations on entrance and exit and checks if the appropriate tariff has been paid for the length of stay on site.
Main visitor car parks
These visitor car parks have the following tariffs:
|Length of stay||Charges|
|First 20 minutes||Free|
|Up to 4 hours – one payment allows for multiple visits during this time to both of our hospital sites, ie if you buy your ticket at one site and you are using the same vehicle you can use your ticket there (except for the Hardwick Road car park)||£4|
|Up to 12 hours – one payment allows for multiple visits during this time to both of our hospital sites, ie if you buy your ticket at one site and you are using the same vehicle you can use your ticket there||£5|
|Up to 24 hours – one payment allows for multiple visits during this time to both of our hospital sites, ie if you buy your ticket at one site and you are using the same vehicle you can use your ticket there||£6|
|7 day permit for regular visitors – please pay at the parking machine – one payment allows for multiple visits during this time and is valid on all sites.||£7|
How to pay
You can pay on the way out at the machines by cash (correct change is required) or up to midnight on the same day after you leave the site by text, phone or through PaybyPhone (there is an additional charge for this) using the site number 83159 for University Hospital of North Tees or 83160 for University Hospital of Hartlepool. The PaybyPhone service allows users to phone, download a mobile phone app or use the internet.
- when entering the hospital make sure you are parking in a visitor car park
- remind yourself or take a note of your vehicle registration number
- go to the car parking machine, follow the instructions and take a ticket
- keep the ticket with you as proof of purchase (you don’t need to put your ticket in the car)
Hardwick Road visitor car park
The additional car park on Hardwick Road has a separate pay system to the other visitor car parks. To pay to park in this car park you must pay at the machines based in this car park only, as it is not linked to the car parking machines throughout the trust.
|Length of stay||Charges|
|First 20 minutes||Free|
|Up to 14 hours||£2|
Drop off bays
There are drop off bays to the rear of the hospital which provide easy access to the lung health, endoscopy and urology department. You can use these bays to drop off patients who may struggle to walk from main reception, you can then go and move to a visitor car park.
There are drop off bays outside the west wing which give easy access to the following:
- Haematology Day Unit
- Discharge lounge
- Medical rehab day unit
- Short stay unit
- Stroke unit
- Wards 36-42
There are a number of bays outside the Tatchell centre for patients who are attending the clinics held here.
Parking charge notices
You will only receive a parking charge notice if you are parked inappropriately or if you are in breach of the terms and conditions of the car park such as non-payments.
Parking charge exemptions for Blue Badge holders, regular outpatients and parents of children in hospital over night
In line with new government regulations, the Trust has implemented the following parking policies at the University Hospital of Hartlepool, University Hospital of North Tees and Peterlee Community Hospital:
- Blue badge holders, attending hospital as a patient or visitor, simply should present their blue badge and registration details to the security teams who will register their vehicle as being able to park for free. This registration will remain in place for the duration of the badge’s licencing period. However, Blue Badges belong to the person not registered to a vehicle so if a Blue Badge holder attends hospital in a different vehicle, they would need to register that vehicle with the Trust’s security team.
- Frequent outpatient attenders (those who attend hospital for an appointment at least three times within a month and for an overall period of at least three months) will also be provided with free parking. Patients should ask for a form from the outpatients’ reception.
- Parents of sick children staying overnight can park for free between the hours of 7.30pm and 8am while visiting the child. Children’s ward staff will be happy to provide parents with the forms.
Parking in surrounding areas
There are a number of car parks around the hospital site which are not owned by the Trust, we accept no responsibility if you choose to park in these car parks.
Please be advised that the car park bordering Whessoe Road is privately owned and not part of the Trust’s own hospital car parks.
If you are parking in the local neighbourhood, please be considerate to local residents.
If you need to contact us about any parking enquiries, please email: